Weekly Market Activity Report 8.11.08
By MAAR on Monday, August 11th, 2008
For the fifth consecutive week and ninth of the last twelve, there were more purchase agreements written on homes than one year previous.
For the week ending August 2, there were 820 pending sales—an increase of 2.2 percent from the same week in 2007. Over the last three months, pending sales have held relatively steady, posting an increase of 0.6 percent from the same period last year. With sales tantalizing the marketplace with slight upward jiggering over the past several weeks, some might want to predict that we’ve reached bottom. While the news is encouraging, it’s a bit premature to stake that claim. Meanwhile, housing supply is clearly in decline. New listings from the most recently reported week were a stirring 19.8 percent lower than last year and were down 12.8 percent over the last three months.
This week’s edition of the MAAR Weekly Market Activity Report features updated figures for several key metrics. Days on Market Until Sale in July fell slightly to 146 but remains up 13.3 percent from July 2007. Percent of Original List Price Received at Sale decreased to 92.6 percent, also down from last year. Months Supply of Inventory is up 8.6 percent from last year at 10.5. And our Housing Affordability Index (HAI) fell 4 points from last month to 144 due to another increase in interest rates and seasonal increases in home prices. Despite the drop, the HAI remains much improved from 2006 and 2007.
- Minneapolis: Proposal Adds Residential Energy Scoring Disclosures to TISH
- NEWS FROM NAR: Preparing for Possible Partial Shutdown of Federal Government
- Long-awaited inventory gains finally arrive
- Plymouth Council Votes Down Short-Term Rental Restrictions
- Position Announcement: MAR Seeks a Chief Executive Officer
- Heart of the Community Award Recipients
- Supply tight but flattening, prices still rising, sales fluctuating
- Advance Notice of Sale Ordinance to Protect Affordable Multi-Housing
- More Early Signs of Shifting Market Tides
- Gung-Ho Sellers Post Largest Increase in Nearly Three Years