Do you love planning events?
The Event Planner leads the creation, implementation, and evaluation of events to engage Association members and industry partners at Minneapolis Area REALTORS ®, the largest local REALTOR® association in Minnesota. The position collaborates across departments and with volunteer member committees to implement a range of events from fundraising galas and day-long continuing education conferences to smaller panel presentations, professional development classes, staff events and social gatherings. The position’s primary focus is to ensure MAR has impactful events that engage various member segments and align with organizational priorities and values throughout the year. The Planner also helps to steward sponsor relationships which provide an important revenue stream for events and the association as a whole.
The Event Planner works within the larger Program & Events team. They support their colleagues with the day-to-day implementation of classes for members when capacity is needed.
The work is highly collaborative with staff across the organization and member volunteers. The ability to effectively plan events with an agile mindset despite ambiguity is key.
This position reports to the Manager of Programs & Events.
Our vision is to ignite professional success and grow vibrant communities. Founded in 1887, Minneapolis Area REALTORS® (MAR) is the largest local REALTOR® association in Minnesota serving more than 9,000 real estate professionals in its five-county jurisdiction. MAR provides its members with essential market information, educational resources, a trusted networking community, an effective industry voice and strong leadership for greater professional success while promoting stronger, sustainable communities.
In alignment with our current strategic plans, we have advanced in our journey for diversity, equity, and inclusion, making significant strides in ensuring an inclusive leadership body with strong representation from diverse communities. Our 24 staff work closely with the leadership of our Board of Directors and 11 committees. This local organization, along with our state and national counterparts recognizes that bold action is the path to our ability to live into our vision of being the expert resource and trusted leader in the residential real estate industry. Learn more at www.mplsrealtor.com.
Programs and Event Management (80%)
- Create project overviews to guide event purpose, goals and outcomes based on broader Program & Event Annual Plan; Engage project team to finalize overview event-by-event; Ensures completion of project deliverables/outcomes.
- Measures event specific KPIs; adjust future plans based on learnings.
- Serves as event lead, delegate appropriate work effectively to project team members.
- Vet and choose event vendors (e.g., venue, catering, etc.) based on project purpose, goals, and budget.
- Ensure all aspects of events are implemented as planned within budget, providing oversight of venue logistics and vendors, supporting speakers leading up to the event and other program participants in their roles, and guiding the various event elements to a successful conclusion.
- Ensure event data is accurately captured in CRM for both event tracking and broader Association analysis.
- Oversee member experiences from conception through post-event review; manage on-site preparations, production, and event breakdown; and ensure consistent, high-level service throughout all phases.
- Build and maintain a comprehensive database of industry contacts, vendors, and venues.
Other Duties (20%)
- Support the VP of Engagement with sponsor strategy and support.
- Work effectively with staff, volunteer leaders and external partners in planning and implementing events in alignment with organizational values and team operating principles.
- Deliver work in line with team operating principles; proactively surface prioritization issues or questions that arise in portfolio of work; operate above the line in the accountability ladder.
- Support program activities as needed to ensure successful completion.
- Pilot event offerings that can grow and expand revenue streams. Measure outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3 – 5 years of professional experience in planning and executing event with proven success.
- Excellent organizational skills: must demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work independently, set priorities, and meet deadlines while handling a wide range of complex administrative projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including written and verbal communication.
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated capacity for independent, proactive judgment and problem-solving while working in a collaborative environment as a team member.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Exceptional customer service and guest relations skills.
- Ability to build productive business relationships.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Able to use technology effectively in a business setting to accomplish work tasks.
- Proficient with event management software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PPT, Outlook, SharePoint, Teams)
- Previous experience in the real estate industry.
- Experience leveraging a CRM to support event planning and relationships.
- Experience developing and managing sponsor relationships.
Traits and abilities that are common among people who would thrive in this environment.
- Has cultural fluency and understands the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the industry and the workplace.
- Customer-centric mindset.
- Takes a solution-based approach to overcoming challenges and remains resilient.
- Communicates with candor and care.
- Imaginative and innovative professional with a passion for crafting unique and memorable experiences.
- Motivated to work for a mission driven organization.
Physical Demands and Travel Requirements
- Travel using personal transportation reimbursable for mileage within the five-county region we serve: Hennepin, Scott, Carver, Sibley, and McLeod Counties.
- Events require the ability to spend long days preparing for and carrying out a successful event. This can include physical activity like lifting and moving boxes (up to approx. 45 pounds) from storage to venue; setting up registration tables, displays, and signage; setting and decorating tables; greeting and assisting guests at registration; disassembling and packing event materials.
- Mobility to work in a standard office setting and use of standard office equipment including computers, printers, and other office machinery. Vision to read small, printed materials and computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person before groups or on telephones.
This position is hybrid, with 3 days spent on-site at MAR’s office building: 5750 Lincoln Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55436, and 2 days remote. Employee maintains regular business hours Monday-Friday.
Compensation is $60,000 annually, with a Total Rewards package including medical/dental insurance, PTO, sick leave, paid holidays, long term disability, short term disability and 401(k).
- Eligible for annual merit increase and recognition bonus based on performance.
- Paid time off per year:
- Holidays: 11
- PTO: 15 days (increases starting in year 5)
- Sick: 5 days
- Floating Holidays: 2
- 401k: MAR matches up to 4% of employee contribution.
- Health Insurance: MAR pays 90% of premiums for employee health plan; 50% for dependents.
- Dental Insurance: MAR pays 100% of premiums for employee; access for dependents.
- Eye Insurance: MAR pays 100% of premiums for employee; access for dependents.
- Short Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance: MAR pays 100% of premiums for employee.
- Life Insurance: MAR pays 100% of premiums for employee.
Please submit a RESUME and COVER LETTER to email@example.com with a subject line of “Event Planner.”
Complete application includes:
- Cover Letter
Minneapolis Area REALTORS® values a diverse work environment. People of color and people from other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. MAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.