Chief Administrative Officer Position Description
Job Title: Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Departmental Reports: Finance, Human Resources, Membership Services, Facilities and Information Technology
Job Summary: Reporting to the CEO, the CAO has primary responsibility for the planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the administrative functions of MAR, including: Finance, Human Resources, Membership Services, Facilities and Information Technology.
The CAO supports the CEO in the implementation of Board policies and the strategic plan and provides strategic direction for MAR’s administrative and membership services areas. The CAO, in collaboration with administrative leadership and the CEO, develops and implements the organizational goals, strategies and policies relating to the effective administration of MAR. The CAO is ultimately responsible for directing the administrative and membership services areas of MAR in a manner that provides the highest quality of services, utilizing an internal/external customer service focus, consistent with the efficient use of the MAR’s financial and human resources.
As the Chief Financial Officer of the agency, the CAO manages the financial and business operations of MAR and upon request of the CEO serves as the finance staff liaison to the Board Finance Committee.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Demonstrate commitment to the mission and values of MAR.
2. Works with the CEO in providing leadership and strategic direction in all administrative and membership services areas of MAR.
3. Provides executive leadership to the agency by:
- ensuring alignment of administration with MAR’s Strategic Plan;
- developing organizational policies;
- coordinating effective planning processes with the CEO.
4. As directed by the CEO, acts as liaison to the Board, representing the organization’s administrative membership services activities through regular verbal presentations and written communications to the Board.
5. Implements MAR’s strategic plan by identifying short- and long-term goals, establishing objectives, setting timelines and identifying opportunities.
6. Works with the CEO in providing leadership and strategic direction in internal-organizational matters.
7. Provides strategic planning leadership for the departments assigned. Maximizes efficiency and integration of systems.
8. Implements an internal and external customer service model of delivering administrative services.
9. Provides strategic, tactical and operational oversight for capital and operating budget development. Appraises the organization’s financial performance and position relative to goals, and issues periodic financial reports on organization’s financial condition, liquidity, trends, growth plans and potential.
10. Oversees the engagement of the corporation’s audit and annual financial report, approve any proposed changes in financial reports or balance sheets in consultation with the CEO.
11. Represents MAR in contract negotiations with contract holders and third-party payers, appropriately protecting the MAR’s interest by negotiating fair and competitive reimbursements.
10. Directs and analyzes studies of general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on the organization’s mission and operations during planning cycles.
11. Provides leadership and support to any capital or special fund development campaigns.
12. Provides leadership for MAR’s Human Resources and Training functions, ensuring that organizational processes and practices relative to interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems program are in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
13. Provides leadership for MAR’s Facilities and I. T. functions, ensuring that these functions are appropriately resourced to meet the needs of the organization.
14. Directly supervises the Senior Accountant, Director of Membership Services and IT Manager.
15. Appropriately delegates authority and responsibility to the management team. Works with direct reports to assist them in defining and achieving their operational and management goals and performance objectives.
16. Provides leadership, direction and support through ongoing evaluation of MAR’s administrative and membership services areas to identify effective ways to provide administrative services, achieving economies of scale when possible and incorporating best practices into the operations of MAR.
17. Conducts duties in an unbiased manner in accordance with the agency’s mission statement and guiding principles by which all members, staff and volunteers are treated equally regardless of race, gender, religion, age, physical and mental abilities and/or sexual orientation.
18. Committed to the objectives of affirmative action.
19. Continuously reviews all factors (e.g. staffing, materials, facilities, etc.) affecting the cost of MAR’s administrative and membership services areas. Takes the necessary corrective action to keep cost in line with budgets and financial objectives. Recommends appropriate action if variances exist.
24. Oversees the development of the annual capital and operating budgets for the administrative areas and monitors performance against budget.
25. Maintains a system of accountability and security for the organization’s financial resources in areas of responsibility.
26. Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional growth and development to keep current in the latest trends in MAR’s service areas. As necessary, attends professional meetings and seminars at the local, regional, state, and national level to keep abreast of happenings and developments in matters relating to the effective administration of a Realtor Association.
27. Carries out other duties and responsibilities as directed by the CEO.
ESSENTIAL AND USEFUL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCES AND COMPETENCIES FOR THE CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER (CAO)
- Master’s degree or equivalent preferred in business, non-profit management or related areas.
- Eight plus years of successful experience in a senior management/leadership role. Realtor Association and/or real estate sales background highly desired.
- Offers a broad set of executive leadership experience, with knowledge in the following areas: HR, Finance, Facilities and IT.
- Possesses the ability to execute strategy, including defining goals and objectives; defining performance objectives; driving results and staying the course.
- Possesses the ability to build teams and identify and develop talent.
- Has demonstrated intellectual skills, including analytical and conceptual skills.
- Possesses executive–level interpersonal and communication skills, including projecting an executive presence.
- Possesses relationship development and influencing skills.
- Possesses strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Presents in a credible manner.
- Has a track record that demonstrates competitive drive.
- Has the ability to create a strategic vision.
- Has the ability to develop commitment.
- Understands the importance of diversity.
Please email cover letter & resume to Walt Flynn, executive recruiter at: firstname.lastname@example.org